The Kirkland Wednesday Market Vendor Guidelines 2017

Part 2

Vendor Categories



Those who produce from seed, propagate from clippings, or bulbs, will be allowed to sell produce/berries/live flowers/live plants/fresh or dried flowers/fresh or dried herbs, etc.

Those that raise animals for meat, to sell for meat sales or fiber sales, must raise, feed and care for the animal themselves for that purpose. Meat may not be purchased from an outside source and then resold.

The farmer selling must own, rent or lease their land in the State of Washington. The farmer must be an active owner and operator of the farming operation and may not be operating the business under a franchise agreement. No farm resellers (buying wholesale and then reselling) will be permitted to sell in this market.

Farmers, who sell just produce, seasonal fruits, flowers, meats, cheeses, honey, nursery plants, herbs, jams, jellies, vinegars, or other processed/canned items from their farm, are not be required to go through the jury process.

Processed food items must be prepared in a licensed commercial kitchen and this kitchen shall be disclosed on the vendor application. We do ask that you submit with your application a copy of any required licensing, permits or certificates which are required to sell your items within the State of Washington and/or King County.

If the farmer sells value-added products for example – soaps, bath products, hand-crafted items, baskets, wreathes, etc., these items will be required to go through the jury process and will be considered as part of the artisan category. However, farmers, who have value-added items, will be given first priority, as long as their items, either a portion or all, made from that which they raise or grow.

Organic products: if a product is labeled “organic,” it must be certified in accordance with Washington State law and the standards set forth by the national organic program. Verbal or written declarations of organic status not certified or verified, may result in termination of vendor’s permit to sell. When an organic producer is also selling non-organic produce at the same stand, the non-organic produce must be clearly separated from the organic produce and clearly labeled as non-organic or conventionally grown. Certificates should be posted on the canopy so as to clearly inform the customer as to what your status is.

Unsprayed, pesticide-free, or low spray: written and verbal declarations regarding pesticide use which cannot be certified such as “unsprayed” “pesticide free” or “low spray” are not allowed.

Consumer queries regarding farming practices must be answered factually. Please enter any information you would give a customer about pesticide/chemical usage in the appropriate section in the application.

All farmers are required to adhere to King County Health Department requirements regarding sampling.

A food handler’s permit is required if providing samples.

Those who sell processed foods which include juices, preserved foods, jams, pastries, pasta, granola, cookies, muffins, breads, pies, and related take home desserts, not prepared on site. This includes bakeries: those bakeries that sell more than 25% of their products wholesale must be licensed by the Department of Agriculture as food processors. Other King County Health Department requirements apply.

Vendor must be an active owner/operator of the business and may not be operating under a franchise agreement. All processed food must personally have been prepared on property they own, rent or lease. Vendors in this category are those who have cooked, baked, or otherwise treated the product they sell. No commercially prepared dough mixes, crusts, shells or fillings are allowed. Processed food products should use ingredients from Washington farms or waters as much as possible.

Processors may include someone who processes produce grown on their own property into a value added product such as jams, cider, salsa, or other food items stemming from the vendors crops. Processors may also include those who raise the basic ingredient(s) of a product, but who must send it out for fundamental processing before creating the value added product.

The vendor’s application for a permit to sell shall state what is grown/processed or prepared by vendor, and what the vendor will sell at the farmers market. Processed food vendors must be licensed by the Department of Agriculture as a food processor and follow all of the King County Health Department regulations for sampling or food handling.

Foods include dried fruits, herbs, teas, baked goods, cider, preserves, salsas, and salad dressings. Processed foods, including honey, must be labeled according to Washington State labeling requirements.

All prepared food and baked goods vendors must have a current King County Health Department food handler’s permit and disclose in the application the commercial kitchen where they have prepared the food.

Wineries and Breweries who would like to participate as a vendor must have the Washington State Liquor Control Board Farmers Market endorsement (cost: $80/year) and meet all qualifications. See additional information at


Please continue to Prepared Food Vendors (Concessionaires), Artisans and Crafters.